For over 40 years, Steppenwolf Theatre Company has been a cultural leader in Chicago and model for theatre companies in the United States and around the world. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble has grown to 53 members who represent a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors and playwrights. Thrilling and powerful productions from Balm in Gilead to August: Osage County—and accolades that include the National Medal of Arts and 12 Tony Awards— have made the theater legendary. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Steppenwolf is led by Artistic Director Anna D. Shapiro and Executive Director David Schmitz.
Steppenwolf Theatre Companyis seeking candidates for the full-time position of Shift Supervisor, to support our food and beverage team in providing excellent hospitality at our lobby concessions bars and Front Bar: Coffee and Drinks. The Shift Supervisor will be an integral part of our evening service, ensuring guest satisfaction and supporting the staff. Tasks will vary, but may include resolving customer issues, taking orders and working the register at concessions and barista stations, acting as bar back and occasionally dishwasher, and handling cash deposits and closeouts at the end of the night.
A café and bar concept connected to our existing main lobby at 1700 N Halsted Street, Front Bar is a warm neighborhood hub serving coffee and espresso by La Colombe Coffee Roasters, with food by The Goddess and Grocer available day and night. The bar program focuses on seasonal cocktails, beer and wine, with an emphasis on local and craft products. Front Bar serves the local community, as well as theatregoers during peak times before and after Steppenwolf Theatre performances.
Our lobby concessions program is a thematic extension of Front Bar, providing quality snacks and beverages and efficient service to guests before and during performances.
STEPPENWOLF AUDIENCE EXPERIENCE
Steppenwolf Audience Experience is dedicated to helping everyone coming through our doors feel safe, relaxed and invited. Through an intentional and sincere level of service and hospitality, this position is part of a team that is committed to cultivating a comfortable and respectful environment that upholds the dignity and experience of our audience, colleagues and guests.
Successful candidates will…
· Commit to an equitable work environment, which includes use of gender inclusive language; support for individual gender expression, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration; accessibility for people with disabilities; and cultural sensitivity.
· Demonstrate compassion, which includes genuinely caring about colleagues and guests alike; showing sympathy for the plights of others; exhibiting empathy for the experience of everyone in the room.
· Maintain personal composure, which includes demonstrating maturity; remaining cool under pressure; not becoming defensive or irritated when presented with challenging or unexpected situations; handling stress without showing frustration; serving as a settling influence in a tense situation.
· Comfortably and effectively cope with change and ambiguity, which includes effectively transitioning between tasks and timelines; identifying priorities and making good decisions with a minimum of information; staying relaxed when things are uncertain; confidently managing risk and uncertainty.
· Exhibit interpersonal savvy, which includes relating comfortably to a variety of personalities; cultivating and maintaining positive relationships; employing diplomacy and tact; defusing high-tension situations; seeking the positive in all situations.
As a part of the Audience Experience team, the Shift Supervisor will support the nightly operations of Front Bar and the concessions bars by:
· Training and supervising bar and café staff, ensuring service standards for all Baristas and Bartenders
· Serving in a support role during peak times by serving drinks, running food, bussing tables, polishing glassware, or any other essential tasks as needed
· Ensuring guest satisfaction, and handling any conflicts or issues that may arise
· Enforcing and maintaining staff policies
· Maintaining appropriate staffing and ensuring breaks for staff during shifts
· Closing out registers and creating nightly deposits
· Addressing any service, safety, money, maintenance, food, or relevant issues directly
· Performing manager closing duties, which includes supervising and ensuring completion of staff closing duties
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full time hourly position, 35-40 hours a week. Primary set hours are 5:30pm to close, Wednesday through Sunday nights.
Salary: $15.00 per hour with excellent benefit package, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, employee assistance program, vacation pay, paid sick leave, personal days and 401(k) retirement program with company match.